How to Choose Prescription Swim Goggles
Whether you swim professionally or recreationally, you need to be able to see clearly. Wearing goggles is more than just for fun, it’s also necessary for your safety. Prescription swimming goggles will help you see the pool walls and other swimmers around you, while also protecting your eyes from the harsh chlorine.
What to Look for When Choosing Prescription Swim Goggles
Just like sunglasses, swimming goggles come with a variety of lens features.
- Anti-Fog: Goggle lenses can easily fog up, especially with the varying temperatures of water. Having anti-fog lenses is very important in a pair of swimming goggles. They’re key to help you see clearly underwater and to avoid possible swimming accidents or frustrations.
- Tint: Tinted prescription swimming goggles work well for all bodies of water. For the pool, a light colored lens tint will help filter out the bright blue light. For oceans or lakes, darker tinted lenses will help reduce the glare off of the water.
- 100% UV Protection: Since you can’t swim in sunglasses, you’ll want goggles that block out ultra-violet (UV) rays. Being in a body of water makes you more susceptible to sun exposure. Not only are you getting hit directly from the sun, but also from the reflection off of the water. Look for swimming goggles that are equipped with UVA and UVB protection.
- Prescription: Why bother buying swim goggles to see underwater if you wouldn’t be able to see clearly anyway? Look for goggles that allow you to add a prescription.
If your swim goggles don’t fit properly, they are essentially useless. Here are some tips to get a secure fit:
- Adjustable Strap: Use these straps to fit your goggles tightly and securely to your face so they don’t slip off underwater.
- Adjustable Bridge: The bridge should fit comfortably over your nose and the lenses should be evenly spaced around your eyes.
- Plastic Lens Seal: To prevent water getting into your lenses while you’re swimming, look for goggles with a plastic seal that will suction to your face.
Prescription Goggles for Kids
It is extra important for children to be able to see clearly underwater, especially if they need vision correction. Kids prescription swim goggles are the perfect solution. When picking prescription swimming goggles for your child, keep the following features in mind:
- BPA, PVC, and Latex Free: Look for goggles that are free of toxic plastics.
- 100% UVA/UVB Protection: Protect their eyes from harsh UV rays.
- Durable or Shatter-Resistant Lenses: Just like their glasses, kids’ swimming goggles lenses should offer the same level of kid-proof durability.
- Case: All of DiscountGlasses.com’s kids’ swimming goggles come with a protective case so you won’t have to worry about them breaking at the bottom of your beach bag.