We often have photo shoots outside, but we can assure you that everything it takes to get the perfect shot is anything but a walk in the park. Don't get us wrong—this is the stuff we love to do, but it takes a whole lot more than snapping a few images and calling it a day.
Before we ever step foot on location, our creative team has met multiple times, done a barrage of brainstorming, and planned as precisely as possible. And it doesn't end there. Our photographer has to choose props, select models, lay out logistics, and remember to pivot swiftly instead of cry when the weather doesn't cooperate.
Luckily, our very own Mara Gruber is all about staying positive in the shadow of rain clouds and creating quality photos no matter what stands in her way or gets on her lens. Here's what our Ohio University grad, mama to Margaux, true-crime-loving photographer has to say about imagery, superpowers, and a few other tidbits.
- My favorite part about creating imagery for DiscountGlasses.com is working with the models. I enjoy the reciprocal relationship between the photographer and subject—capturing genuine expressions and emotions. So, when I’m shooting, I’m constantly talking to the subject and having fun. I also love brainstorming and collaborating with my team on campaigns.
- My interest in photography began when my dad gave me a camera for Christmas when I was five or six.
- The photographers who influence me the most are Annie Leibovitz and Nan Goldin. Right now the #girlgaze project has been very influential for me (started by Amanda de Cadenet).
- I draw inspiration from the women around me—my daughter, my mother, my friends.
- Cats or dogs? Cats, specifically Doom and Gloom, my Sphynx cats. They have more Instagram followers than I do!
- If I were a fictional character I'd be Nancy Drew or Lisbeth Salander from "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."
- My superpower would be invisibility so I could be a really good detective like Nancy Drew and catch the bad guys.
- I love it when I get to sleep past 6 a.m. which is maybe once a week!
- I'd never, ever in a million years skydive.
- GIFs of cats jumping and failing makes me smile. Every. Single. Time.
Check out images from Mara's latest shoot for Westend.